SHORT COURSE PROGRAM ON MIDWIFERY EMERGENCY SKILLS TRAINING
St John’s University of Tanzania-School of Nursing, in collaboration with Tanzania Midwives Association (TAMA) will conduct a short course in Midwifery Emergency Skills Training(MEST) for healthcare workers specifically registered nurses and midwives. This course is accredited by the Tanzania Nursing and Midwifery Council (TNMC) with 20 CPD points.
To equip health care workers with up-to-date knowledge and practical skills required to deal with pregnancy, labour and delivery-related complications that threaten the lives of mothers and their newborns. The topic to be covered will includes, Birth preparedness, Clinical decision making, Pre-eclampsia and eclampsia, Antepartum and Intrapartum hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia, Abnormal FHR and intrauterine resuscitation, assisted breech delivery, Twin delivery, Postpartum hemorrhage, Helping Babies breath, prevention and management of maternal and neonatal infections. Also, concept of supportive care, like mobility during labour, birthing positions and water birth will be highlighted.
Expected Learning Outcome:
1. Identify a woman with emergency obstetric conditions by using comprehensive assessment methods
2. Utilize appropriate skills for the management of a woman with hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, i.e. pre-eclampsia, and eclampsia
3. Demonstrate skills in the management of patients with bleeding before or after delivery, including hemorrhagic shock
4. Demonstrate skills in assisting complicated deliveries, including breech extraction, shoulder dystocia, and Vacuum-Assisted Birth (VAB)
5. Conduct an immediate and comprehensive newborn assessment to recognize newborns with life-threatening conditions
6. Demonstrate appropriate skills for helping babies to survive
7. Apply concepts of customer care and integrity in the provision of midwifery services
The course attracts registered nurses and midwives from both public and private health care settings and training institutions in Tanzania. The participants should be directly involved with patient care or training of healthcare workforce.
Duration of the course
The course shall extend over a period of 6 days and a certificate of completion will be awarded. The course will commence from 16th - 21st October 2023 at St John’s University of Tanzania-Dodoma
Each participant shall pay a fee amounting to 350,000 Tshs for local citizens and a total of USD 153 for foreigners to SJUT Income Account, Account number:01J1082864000 CRDB BANK. The applicant should scan and submit a payment slip at least one week before the commencement of the course to
The prospective applicants must fill in the application (Download here) The duly filled application form, CV, and other accompanying information/attachments i.e., Certificate, Diploma, Advanced diploma, and degree certificates or above/equivalent in health-related fields should be submitted to the course coordinator via contact details indicated below.
The closing date for receiving applications is 9th October. 2023.
All applications should be addressed to
Dean-School of Nursing
St John’s University of Tanzania,
School of Nursing,
P.O. Box 47.
Please send your application electronically using the following e-mail
For further information and clarification, please contact +255765920965, +255713292572, and +255754656807